Disability Rights Texas (DRTx) seeks to hire a second full-time Bilingual Education Specialist for the Harris County Juvenile Probation Educational Support Services Project. Primarily based in S Houston off I-610 and SH288, this position routinely serves and supports other areas of the county as needed. Clients for this project are referred from within the Harris County Juvenile Justice System.
About the Position
The Bilingual Education Specialist provides non-litigation case level and technical support services to probation involved youth, their families and probation officers. Under the direction of the project’s Supervising Attorney, the position exercises independent judgment within the confines of the probation department regulations, the limited scope contract of the County, and according to DRTx policies and procedures while administering assigned case work. Duties include interviewing clients, reviewing records, investigating facts, recognizing key issues, accompanying families to IEP/ARD and 504 meetings, negotiating favorable outcomes, mediating disputes, referring to other programs when appropriate, and providing technical assistance to county probation officers.
- Nights and weekends required – This position regularly requires working nights and weekends.
- Bilingual Spanish required - This position requires Spanish fluency, written and spoken word.
- Fingerprinting required – This position requires advanced background clearance and fingerprinting at hire and annually thereafter. See the complete job description for details related to this imposed by the contract.
- Time limited position - This position is solely funded by a time limited contract and is subject to specific terms imposed upon the organization relegating it’s operations. As such, the continuation of this position’s availability outside of this contract is not guaranteed.
More information and to apply
Those interested in this position should carefully review the attached job description.
- Current DRTx staff interested in applying should submit a letter of interest along with an up to date resume by August 17, 2017 to Matt Trietsch via email.
- All other persons should visit https://careers.drtx.org to apply.
About Disability Rights Texas
Disability Rights Texas is the federally designated legal protection and advocacy agency (P&A) for people with disabilities in Texas. Our mission is to help people with disabilities understand and exercise their rights under the law, ensuring their full and equal participation in society.
DRTx is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity with respect to all terms and conditions of employment, consistent with individual qualifications and Organizational needs. DRTx makes and implements employment decisions and practices without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. DRTx prohibits all forms of unlawful employment discrimination, including but not limited to discrimination and harassment based on any status protected by federal, state and local laws. DRTx shall make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and sincerely held religious beliefs, if it can do so without an undue hardship.
DRTx does not accept contacts or resumes from any search firms or staffing agencies, unless previous agreements have been made. All unsolicited resumes will be considered Disability Rights Texas' property, and Disability Rights Texas will not be obligated to pay a referral fee. This includes resumes submitted directly to hiring managers.